Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Cross

So, Jonathan was telling me about his Good Friday sermon ideas on Tuesday morning. And I had a thought, wouldn't it make it more personal if we had some kind of cross that we could actually nail our "sins" to. We could write down our sins and nail them to the cross. (I don't think this was an original idea--I think it was lingering in the back of my mind from hearing about it somewhere else.) I was thinking, maybe next year, when you could find someone to make the cross ahead of time. Well, there's a retired member in our congregation who is very handy, and he had the cross finished that afternoon! Amazing!


So, we did indeed nail sins to the cross on Good Friday. It was quite sobering to think my "little sin"--it's no big deal, right? That same sin did actually nail Jesus to the cross. Many people commented on the impact it had on them.


When people walked in on Easter, this is what they saw. The same cross, sins gone, butterflies in place.

No comments: