Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life with two

Some insights I've gained in the two short months living with a toddler and infant:
  • It takes forever to get out the door to go anywhere, and some days it's really not worth the effort.
  • Once you do get out of the house, you have to go back several times for things you forgot.
  • The car ride home--no matter how long it is--always ends with at least one screaming child.
  • You can sleep with four people in a double bed.
  • A toddler who refused to be carried anywhere, suddenly wants to be carried everywhere!
  • Naps are essential.
  • Pushing a double stroller is a really good workout.
  • Going out to eat is not for the faint of heart, and is really an oxymoron--there's not much eating involved.
  • It's amazing how much housework you can accomplish during an episode of Sesame Street.
  • Hot dogs and macaroni and cheese are an acceptable supper for all members of the family.
  • Dust bunnies take up permanent residence in the house.
  • The stains on the living room carpet don't matter, because you can't see the carpet anyway.
  • Bathing daily and sleep are over-rated.
  • Most days we only have time for the essential: eating, changing diapers, playing, and sleeping, in that order.
  • Showering or going the bathroom alone or in peace is a thing of the past.
  • Going to the grocery store alone is like a mini-vacation.
  • It is not uncommon to change four dirty diapers before 8:00 a.m.
  • A smile or hug and kiss makes it all worth it!
And now for a game of Find That Baby!

3 comments:

Dori said...

Very funny post! But, I must say, also very educational. (gulp!) I am definitely taking note for when my hubby and I have kids!! It's a tough job taking care of little ones. Oh, and I loved the "Find the Baby" photo, too-you should do that again sometime!! I think a whole series of "Find the Baby" photos taken from all around your house and on different days would be awesome. LOL

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!
You've captured it perfectly - and I'm glad to see you have your "essentials" in order. Perfect.
Let's get together soon and see if we can lose a few babies! LOL

ryanpbrunner said...

Completely digging myself out of those same situations right now. In the past two months, I think I have managed to shave 2 minutes off a task-oriented trip in the car. Remember those days when you could get to 4-5 stores, get everything on the list, still have time to think about your purchases, and do it all in under 1 1/2 hours? Now I get to one store, maybe two if I'm up for the possibility of bribery or high temperaments, and don't even try to think about going to more in an hour and a half.
I did get to run errands this morning by myself (school is out for the day and the kids went to Kim's for a couple of hours), and I must say that I have lost some of my edge. I can't do as much in as little time as I used to. I think I enjoyed the quiet of my brain thinking for a change, and it took longer than possible.